- Gourmet/Premium – Candy
- Gum & Mints
- Novelty/Licensed – Candy & Snacks
- Seasonal – Candy & Snacks
- Salty Snacks
- Sweet Snacks
- Meat Snacks
- Savory Snacks
- Gourmet/Premium – Snacks
All products are judged based upon the four weighted criteria:
- Taste – 30 points
- Innovation – 40 points
- Packaging – 15 point
- Saleability – 10 points
The Awards will be extensively promoted in pre-show marketing, on the Expo App and website and in a post-show press release.
The panel-selected product nominees will be displayed in the Most Innovative New Product Awards showcase located within the New Product Showcase just outside the show entrance.
Look for the awards nomination trophy in exhibitors’ booths at the show – that is your compass to finding “panel-selected” products!
Product Submission Guidelines
To qualify, products must have entered the retail market (including market tests) on June 1, 2019, or later.
Cost per entry:
|Until April 16, 2020||April 17 – May 1, 2020|
Product is limited to one category (manufacturer decides which category product fits best). Max entries: 10
Up to 30 small samples for each product entry will be necessary for judging. Full-sized products can be cut into smaller sizes for sampling. Two fully packaged samples are required per submission for display purposes and media use. Cases of items will not be accepted.
NOTE: Products in this competition are defined by the SKU number. A different flavor in the same format is considered a different item and must be registered as separate submission.
Specific Product Sampling Guidance:
- Individual candy or snack bars: One 12 to 24 count box per product submission
- Stand up pouches of candy and/or snacks > 3.5 oz.: 10 pouches per product submission
- Bags of snacks/chips/pretzels > 3.5 oz.: Six bags per product submission
- Pegged candy/snacks > 3.5 oz.: Six bags per product submission
- Mini or fun sized candy and snack items: Two bags if there are at least 20 ct. per bag
- Novelty: Enough product for 30 small groupings
Bringing Products to the Show
Please deliver your products to the show’s tasting room onsite at McCormick Place West, Room 471, just one escalator level up from the Grand Concourse. The room will be open for product delivery on Sunday, May 17, 1 PM – 6 PM.
NCA is not responsible for products not delivered. No refunds will be given, and products, packaging or prototypes will not be returned after judging.
The judging panel will nominate five products in each category. Nominated products will be displayed in a special showcase outside the show floor during the Sweets & Snacks Expo.
The winners of the Most Innovative New Product Awards will be announced at a special reception on Monday, May 18 at Hyatt Regency Chicago from 5 PM – 7 PM in the Regency Ballroom.
Please contact Delynn Thompson at [email protected] or (702) 216-5835 with any questions. We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!
- Fill out this form as if you were presenting it to a retail buyer – because you are!
- Focus on what makes your product saleable innovation at retail.
- Highlight data, trends, consumer demographics, etc. that support your product development and your product’s retail success.
- Keep in mind how our judges think about innovation:
- Is the item is truly unique and memorable?
- Is this item going to bring a new consumer to the category?
- Does the item bring a clear point of difference to the category?
- Does the item capitalize on current trends?
- Will the item add an incremental sale (vs. cannibalize from an existing item)?
- Does the item use a new process or technique or is it a line extension?